CENTRAL TEXAS YOUTH FOOTBALL PROGRAMS RECEIVE OVER $79,000
The Nelson Puett Youth Football Fund at the Austin Community Foundation announced over $79,000 in grants to be awarded to Austin area youth football programs.
“Youth football programs in Central Texas offer a unique opportunity for mentorship, team building, outdoor experiences and fun,” said Meagan Anderson Longley, Director of Grants and Scholarships at Austin Community Foundation. “The Austin Community Foundation is proud to be able to support these experiences while honoring the legacy of Nelson Puett through the Nelson Puett Youth Football grant program.”
On Wednesday, July 16, 2014, grants totaling $79,356 were awarded to the following youth football programs:
· Austin Parks and Recreation Department - $15,000 for Spring Break Football Camp (scholarships, uniforms, footballs, water bottles, drill equipment)
· The Austin Steelers - $2,000.00 for helmets & shoulder pads
· Del Valle Ducks- $10,000 for Del Valle Ducks Football (Uniforms, equipment, professional & safety training)
· Delwood Oilers - $5,000 for Uniforms and helmets
· Leander Youth Football Association - $4,000 for Leander Youth Football Program (Uniforms, equipment, scholarships, coach training)
· Pflugerville Dream Team - $15,000 for Titans Sports Pflugerville Dream Team Cougars (Helmets, shoulder pads, uniforms, training equipment, scholarships)
· YMCA of Austin - $28,356 for YMCA of Austin Flag Football Program (Field lights, bleachers, equipment, scholarships, uniforms)
About Nelson Puett - Nelson Puett forged his love for football growing up in Central Texas and carried his passion for the sport through college at the University of Texas at Austin. While he had many achievements, including serving during World War II, perhaps his proudest moment was scoring the winning touchdown against rival team Texas A&M in 1938. Nelson Puett went on to become a prominent homebuilder who built homes in Crestview, Allandale, Rosedale, Brentwood and Hyde Park, taking great pride in nurturing first time homeowners. Another philanthropic area of special personal interest was awarding college scholarships to young athletes who not only showed excellence on the field, but also exhibited academic distinction. Nelson Puett supported and sponsored Little League football since its inception in Austin and Little League baseball teams have played under the sponsorship of Nelson Puett & Associates.
About the Nelson Puett Youth Football Fund - When Nelson Puett passed away in 2006, he left behind a legacy and a hope that Central Texas children would benefit from play and sport as much as he did as boy. The Nelson Puett Youth Football Grant Program was created at the Austin Community Foundation to provide support for youth football. Grants are limited to football programs in Central Texas serving youth through age 14 and awarded to 501(c)(3) public charities, public schools or other governmental entities that run a youth football program or provide use of fields or other essential support primarily for youth football programs. The annual deadline is in early June. For more information, contact: Meagan Longley, Director of Grants & Scholarships, at:email@example.com or 512-220-1412.
About the Austin Community Foundation - Austin Community Foundation offers flexible giving options for donors, funding for nonprofits and students, and leadership around community issues. Founded in 1977 with a single $30,000 gift, the Austin Community Foundation has $155 million in assets and has given more than $250 million in grants to the causes and organizations that help make Austin a great place for everyone. For more information, visitwww.austincommunityfoundation.org.